Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Cooperative Construction Crew

My policy has been: better to ask forgiveness, than permission. How do you explain to someone: I just wanna dance on your property / equipment / rooftop / overpass? Better to just do it.

However, today I realized a remote dream: to ask for help in creating an IMP-Style moment, and receive it.

I went off in a new direction today, heading north instead of east, toward population instead of industry. I saw the blockaded street and construction gear off of Western, and hoped it would be vacated for the weekend. There was, however, a crew working on the site, so I kept it low-pro. I played with a water hose, attached to a fire hydrant, because who could resist matching the elephant SFX to a fire hose? Especially an active one.


But shortly after I cut the water, and put my camera away, one of the crew came through, (I assumed) irritated, to put the hose completely out of sight. I figured I lucked out, got out of the way before the shit came down.

But then Junior, the dude with the plan, asked me what the hell I was doing, and when I told him, he invited me to come and dance on the construction site with them all still working. Cool, I thought, but they were putting away their gear. I said: "I'm gonna ask the impossible", that I be able to dance in the bucket of the bulldozer, as it was driving down the street.

Sure, said Junior, and what happened was this:

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you seriously scored with that one! ANYone I'd ask would say "that's too dangerous", etc. And it looks awesome, and with a fun bounce in it too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I lucked out. But it's definitely shifted my attitude about asking permission for things. Worst thing they could say is "no".

    ReplyDelete