Monday, January 26, 2009

Breaking into the Hacienda

Went by this little abandoned coffee shop on 37th, Hacienda something. I was first attracted by its gutted pay phone; it seemed ripe for playing on. But when I glanced through the windows, I saw this beautifully lit view, chance sunlight coming through the windows, but every bit as perfect as a movie set, HMIs pounding in.

Window I broke into
The little gap on the upper left is the space I shimmied through. The square fits my hips, and little more. The design was perfect for breaking in, because there was a robust shelf in the women's room (just inside), at exactly the same height as the hole. Ideal for breaking in, but even more important for breaking out.

37th is in the industrial part of Vernon (a redundant statement), and there is zero pedestrian traffic, so it was easy to skinny in and out without being seen. The dogs, just one property east, were pretty persistent in calling out their alarm, but no one came to investigate. I scouted first, and was hoping I could open a door from inside, but nothing would unlock. The only way in or out was through the window. I scooted everything in, onto the shelf, and then out, a small drop to the concrete. My coat and pack were too big to fit, so I snuck them around the corner, setting the dogs off again.

The interior was flimsier than I thought, and pieces swayed and rocked as I danced on them. Part of the front counter (a piece of almost paper board) came loose and I set it aside. When it came off, the piece holding it on came loose as well, and I ended up gouging my knee on a newly exposed nail. Thankfully, someone had left some of their hardware lying around, including a hammer, so I was able to pound that nail down.

A little tease, of some of the footage from the Hacienda:

No comments:

Post a Comment